Skip to main content

The Ending is Just the Beginning


     I remember when I first started my program. I was eager to get done. The mornings of driving 40 minutes to campus to get to my 8am lectures got old really fast. I was a non-traditional student. I was married, I had children, and I lived off campus. I knew it would be a challenge, but I wasn't aware how big of a challenge I was up against. I worked hard, sacrificed family time, and juggled being a student, teacher, mom, and wife. 

     On May 13, around 10:45 am, I stared out into the crowd of graduates waiting for their moment. The moment that would kick start their prosperous future.  I couldn't believe that I was sitting behind the Dean of the School of Education. I was a recipient of the Senior Leadership Award. It was as if I was having an out of body experience. I felt accomplished and proud to be there, but it was surreal. I walked across the stage two times that afternoon. Once to receive my award and the other, to receive my degree. Well, the leather pouch that represented my degree. I looked out to my husband and children, mom, brother, and sister. I simply smiled. I was smiling because I had finally gotten to where I wanted to be. I smiled because it was at that very moment that I knew all my hard work paid off. I smiled because I won against all odds. I smiled because it was the end. 

     I celebrated that day going out to lunch and opening my grad gifts. May 13 was a very special day. Not only had I graduated, I had saw my Mom and brother for the first time in almost six years. And I hadn't seen my sister longer than that. I soon realized what I thought was the end, was just the beginning. I only have two months until I report for my first day as a 6th-grade teacher! I have made a Teachers Pay Teachers account (YAY!) and sold my first product. I created a Twitter account and an Instagram account. Don't be confused, I have social media accounts! LOL. I made teacher accounts. My 6th-grade students wanted to follow me and I refused to give them my personal accounts. So, I made business accounts. I opened and played with my Silhouette. O....M....G....I don't know how I lived without one. I have so many things to make for my classroom and my home. During the next few months, I have to prepare myself to move from Kansas to Texas. There is so much to look forward too. 2017 has definitely been good to me. And, it's just the beginning.

Comments